In this installment of our Taiwan Travel Guide Series, we show you how to get from Taoyuan Airport to Taipei City. This works vice versa, i.e if you need to get from Taipei City or downtown to Taoyuan Airport.
Here is an overview of what we will cover:
- Fastest Way to get from Taoyuan Airport to Taipei City
- Cheapest Way to get from Taoyuan Airport to Taipei City
- Most Convenient Way to get from Taoyuan Airport to Taipei City
How to go from Taoyuan Airport to Taipei City
Contents in this Article
- 1 How to go from Taoyuan Airport to Taipei City
- 1.1 Fastest Way to get from Taoyuan Airport to Taipei City
- 1.2 Cheapest Way to get from Taoyuan Airport to Taipei City
- 1.3 Most Convenient Way to get from Taoyuan Airport to Taipei City
Fastest Way to get from Taoyuan Airport to Taipei City
1. Take the Airport MRT which is available in both Terminals 1 and 2
- NT$160 (about SGD$7.10) per person (one way)
How to Buy Taoyuan Airport MRT Tickets:
- Tickets can be bought from the ticket booth at the Taoyuan Airport MRT Station or paid by Easycard（悠遊卡) if you already have one.
- Alternatively, purchase your tickets online. You can skip the queues and redeem the ticket directly at the Airport MRT station. Booking online is also cheaper than buying a ticket at the Airport MRT.
- Two services – express service (purple) and commuter service (blue) alternates with each other. The express service (purple) skips many of the stations while the commuter service (blue) stops at every station.
- Travel time from Taoyuan Airport to Taipei Main Station: Express Service: 36 mins; Commuter Service: 50 mins
- Travel time from Taipei Main Station to Taoyuan Airport: Express Service: 39 mins; Commuter Service: 52 mins
2. Take the Taiwan High Speed Rail (HSR)
Before the Airport MRT became available in 2017, the Taoyuan Airport High Speed Rail (HSR) was the fastest way to get to downtown Taipei from Taoyuan Airport. However, you will need to take Bus 705 to connect to the Airport HSR.
- Bus 705 costs NT$30 (about SGD$1.34) per person (one way); HSR from Taoyuan Station to Taipei Main Station costs NT$160 (about SGD$7.14) per person (one way)
- Total cost is NT$190 (about SGD$8.50)
How to Buy Taiwan HSR Tickets:
- Bus tickets for bus 705 can be bought at the bus bay and paid with cash.
- HSR tickets can be bought:
- Online at the HSR official website
- At a Taiwan Convenience Store. You can buy tickets from the physical ticketing system of any 7-ELEVEN, FamilyMart, Hi-Life and OK Mart. This option is not recommended because you may face language difficulties with machines that are likely to operate in Chinese only. You will get a printout from the machine with your booking number and you pay at the counter.
- At the HSR station. Go to any HSR station and buy your ticket directly from the counter or the ticket machines. However, you run the risk of not being able to purchase tickets at your preferred time and day if the trains are full, especially during weekends.
- Online through independent tour operators. This is the most convenient and easiest way to get the Taiwan HSR tickets. You will receive a confirmation email and voucher instantly after your booking goes through. Present either a printed or mobile version of the voucher at the HSR ticket counter together with your passport and you will breeze through the entrance gate. You will also save 20% off the ticket price.
- Bus 705 to HSR station – 25 minutes
- HSR Taoyuan station to Taipei Main Station – 20 minutes
Cheapest Way to get from Taoyuan Airport to Taipei City
The cheapest way is by bus.
Various bus companies operate different routes, for e.g.
- Kuo-Kuang Motor Transport (国光客运) Bus 1819 runs 24 hrs at an interval of 15 to 20 minutes to Taipei Main Station.
- CitiAir 1960 East Bus and 1961 West Bus runs to the Taipei City Hall Bus Station and Taipei West Bus Station
- Around NT$115 to NT$145 (about SGD$5.10 to $6.50) per person (one way). The actual cost is dependent on the bus route.
How to Buy Taipei Airport Bus Tickets:
- At the bus bay and ticketing counters for the airport buses just outside the airport.
- Terminal 1: Bus pickup zone at B1 Arrivals.
- Terminal 2: Bus pickup zone at the northeast arcade of the 1st floor Arrivals lobby.
- Book Kuo-Kuang 1819 round trip tickets online at discounted price. A free shuttle is provided from Taipei Main Station to Ximending.
- Dependent on route service and traffic condition. Travel time for Kuo-Kuang Bus 1819 from Taoyuan Airport to Taipei Main Station is usually less than an hour.
Most Convenient Way to get from Taoyuan Airport to Taipei City
Taxis are a good option if you are travelling with a family, a party of 4 or with many luggages.
- NT$1200 (about SGD$53.50) including surcharges of 15% of the meter reading (not inclusive of the single NT$40 toll charges between the airport and Taipei City).
- Exact cost will depend on your destination in downtown Taipei.
- If you are travelling from Taipei city to Taoyuan International Airport, the fare will be what is displayed on the meter (no surcharge). Some drivers will agree to a flat fee of NT$1000 (about SGD$44.60).
- About 45 mins, depending on traffic conditions.
2. Airport Transfers
Private airport transfers can be cheaper than taking a taxi depending on the deals available, but you need to pre-book your transfer.
- Depending on the deals available, it can cost from SGD$36.85 for a private transfer of up to 4 persons.
- About 45 mins, depending on traffic conditions.
Read More: How to visit Jiufen and Shifen in one day
This article was first published on 7 March 2015 and updated on 16 Oct 2018.
We hope you find this article useful in your trip planning. We love to hear from you. Please drop us your comments in the comments box below.